Ah, Cafe Lalo. Is there a more picturesque french cafe this far from France? I think not.
This is one of my favorite places to visit in NYC, so naturally we had to have brunch there (my favorite meal) on our recent trip. It felt like visiting an old friend.
There are a million reasons to love this little cafe. Here are a few of mine:
1. It’s famous. It is the meeting place “Joe Fox” and “Kathleen Kelly” (aka Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan) choose to meet in the classic chick flick loved by many, “You’ve Got Mail”. Look familiar?
2. The coffee. It’s delicious. And I love the espresso machine. And the brightly colored cups, saucers, and cream pitchers. Let’s just face it – coffee tastes better when it’s made and served in pretty things.
3. The interior. I love the brick walls, Art Nouveou art, brass rail bakery case, crystal flower track lighting, marble table tops… the list goes on and on.
4. The french windows. I know this technically falls under #3, but the windows are so fabulous, they get their own category.
5. The menu. From breakfast to midnight snack and every meal or treat in between, Cafe Lalo features an impossible array of delicious offerings. I say impossible, because it’s impossible to choose, so I always end up placing at least two orders for myself. A personal favorite: the Belgian waffle with home made cinnamon whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
6. The details. From the working vintage cash register to the souvenir match boxes… it’s the unique and unforgettable details that make Cafe Lalo so special.
Need I say more? I think not.
So next time you’re near the Upper West Side of Manhattan, you most definitely should stop in. Even if you only have time for a cupcake, it will be totally worth it. Until then, you should go like their Facebook page and check out their website.
It’s one of my happy places. I close my eyes and imagine that giant yellow cup of coffee and suddenly all is right in the world.
Happy November. Stay inspired!